Stepping into the forest of my mind

Stepping into the forest of my mind
Just as every journey begins with a first step, every story begins with the first word.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Insecure Writers Want to Know: How are things in your world during this troubling time?


In my little corner of the world in my home, we are well. Thank you, God! I’ve had four writing presentations at area libraries and assisted living homes cancelled so far. My next presentation is scheduled on April 10th. Here’s hoping life will be up and running by then.

However as New Jersey shuts down around us, my children are home. Once again, they turn to me for something to do. I have always entertained my children in the past. But they’re grown now. The ones who have left, bring their little ones home to visit. I adore them all. I can’t resist my grandbabies. And my children know it. My husband is home, too. I am extremely lucky.   
http://victoriamarielees.blogspot.com


But.

I’m searching for solitude to write. To create. The state has closed my library. I hide in my room, with the door locked. But everyone in my family still remembers how to giggle the doorknob and call my name. It’s amazing!

My oldest, who has learning issues, is trying to sign up for unemployment. Yes! Like thousands of other people in the United States. And guess what? She can’t do it alone, so we are trying to assist. And we are having trouble getting through. No surprise. But another part of her disability is no patience—and whining.

With all the difficulties in the world, it’s important to stay positive. So I’m starting with my thoughts. We are healthy. We are together, for the most part. We share meals. We check in on our friends and the elderly by phone. Flowers and trees are popping and spring is here in the northern hemisphere.

And if the Lord blesses me with a scrap of dialogue or a sentence of illumination for my memoir about attending college as a mother of five, or if I have another short story idea, I write them on pieces of paper and stick them in a binder with two labels: Memoir and Short Stories. Then I shove the binder under my bed and lock my room.

            I truly hope you and your loved ones are safe and well. How do you find time and space to write in these difficult times?

I’ll be interested to see how you’ve tackled this month’s question. It’s great having a topic to share our thoughts on each month. I am extremely thankful for all of you for being my sounding board and advisors in this writing and publishing game.

Thanks so much for visiting! Please follow Adventures in Writing if you haven’t already and connect with me online. Leave your blog link in your comment so I can be sure to do the same for you.

This post was written for the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. We post on the first Wednesday of every month.  To join us, or learn more about the group, click HERE.  


20 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria - all the best at this time ... I just need to sort myself out - and that can be challenging at times ... always something else to do - now = no ... I must get on! All the best to you and yours - take care ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure seeing you here at Adventures in Writing, Hilary. What a perfect equation for my life today. I'm trying, though. I hope you are well and can "sort yourself out."

      Thanks so much for your note. Enjoy your weekend! And be safe!

      Delete
  2. Glad your family is healthy and together. That's what's important. My daughter and her boyfriend just live down the street in an apartment and are staying in and not seeing anyone. It would make this isolation a lot easier for me if I could see my daughter once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, Natalie. Family togetherness is important. But at the same time, I understand why my other two children who live farther away are keeping their distance. I facetime them when I can, but it's not the same.

      Thank you so much for your comment here at Adventures in Writing. Have a beautiful weekend and be safe!

      Delete
  3. We do have to look for the blessings in all this. I hope you get your daughter signed up for unemployment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got through today, believe it or not. Sheesh! Yes, Alex, remembering our blessings and being thankful can help us survive this mess.

      Thank you so much for your comment here at Adventures in Writing. All best to you, sir, and be safe!

      Delete
  4. As I've told some others, you'll miss them when they are gone. So focus on what you have while you have them. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Anna! So very true. I treasured all their growing up years. It's just that by now, I thought I had earned a little peace and quiet. Dire circumstances, Vic. Of course, even on a regular basis, a few of my children stop by with their little ones...usually when I'm knee deep in story.

      Thank you so much for your comment here at Adventures in Writing. Have a beautiful weekend and be safe!

      Delete
  5. We're safe. I'm having major computer issues around my mail, so that's actually helping. LOL. Can't believe I just said that. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Please don't bring up computer issues. I am convinced that my laptop hates me. But let's not talk about that now. I'm so glad you are safe, Joylene. Please stay that way!

      Thank you so much for your note here at Adventures in Writing. Have a beautiful weekend and be safe!

      Delete
  6. We should never lose sight of the blessings. I hope your daughter gets things worked out. My two oldest are trying to get that stuff through as well. Hold on to the positive moments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely never let go of those "positive moments." They are the only things that keep us sane. We just got my daughter's application finished today! Persistence won out! All the luck with your children getting through it.

    Thank you so much for your note here at Adventures in Writing. Have a beautiful weekend and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m happy to read you and your loved ones are doing well, Victoria. Interesting, how life has come full circle with everyone at your home again during this pandemic.

    I find it extremely hard to focus and concentrate during these times of hardship. So, I’m taking a break right now and do the things I enjoy most: hiking with our dog, catching up with people via emails, social media, and blogging, and trying to read in a book again. I’m not going to feel guilty about this for a change! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, Liesbet! I must admit, my husband and I tackled a small section of the Appalachian Trail last Sunday. It felt good to be out in the fresh air. We had a beautiful day. And we weren't alone on the trail, either. Other families were looking for fresh air, too.

    You are so right. It is truly difficult to focus during this time. I'm glad you are well. Breathe and enjoy your hikes. It's always a pleasure seeing you here at Adventures in Writing. Be safe, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear you are all together and staying healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juneta. I hope you and your family are well, too. It's always a pleasure seeing you here at Adventures in Writing. Be safe, my dear!

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear you're doing okay. Sheltering in place is a blessing in disguise. While I miss seeing my g'kids in person, thank goodness for technology. FaceTime really helps. I won't take for granted those hugs and slobbery kisses again. :) Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I facetime too, Diane. But I truly miss my hugs and kisses. Thank you so much for your note here at Adventures in Writing. Have a beautiful week and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you and your family are well. Mine is too. I'm taking advantage of Zoom meetings, talking on the phone more and social distancing with neighbors and family. But, yeah, I miss the hugs and kisses. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear you are all well, Dawn! Truly, I miss my hugs and kisses though. I'm trying to catch up on my podcast classes and keep up with social media, too. With the trees and flowers popping so beautifully, I'm "social distancing" with my neighbors as well.

    Stay well, my friend. Thank you so much for your note here at Adventures in Writing. Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete