Stepping into the forest of my mind

Stepping into the forest of my mind
Just as every journey begins with a first step, every story begins with the first word.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Going to College with the Family in Tow

Photographs are necessary especially on
holidays when life becomes a blur.
Did you ever wish there could be two of you?  When I was attending college for ten of my children’s growing up years, I wished I could have been a traditional college student.  Then another part of me wanted to be that full-time mother of five children.

            Obviously, I couldn’t become two separate people.  So I needed to do the second best thing and perform both tasks as one person. 

            Many people, especially women, wish they could be more than just one person in order to do all the things and tasks that they feel need to be accomplished in life.

            There’s the key. 

People “feel” that these tasks need to be accomplished.  Most certainly we have time-sensitive tasks that truly need to be accomplished.  Business and school projects have firm dates.  Novelists, book publishers have deadlines; essayists, content writers, and short story writers have deadlines.  The list is endless. 

In the beginning of my college career, I truly needed to return home before my children.  There was no one else to watch five children—let alone feed them.  I don’t know about you, but my angels came home starving after school.  You’d think they never ate breakfast or lunch.  I couldn’t attend activity meetings or study groups or join events during that time.  I needed to be a mother.

Other deadlines can be made malleable.   

Prioritizing became a way of life.  I tried to disrupt my children’s schedules, in the beginning of my college journey, as little as possible.  This was especially important for my oldest daughter who is special needs.  Re-teaching her always rested on my shoulders.  She was in eighth grade at that time; the twins, in second grade. 

            The two H’s were at the top of the list:  health and homework, there’s and mine.  Still, by Christmas break, I had the flu…each of the ten years attending college.  The children were fine.  It was just I, the college student/Mom who wanted to crawl into my room and let Christmas happen on its own.  But it doesn’t work that way in families with young children.  Many times, it falls to the mother to make holidays happen.  Yes, I cut down on the baking.  Yes, I tried to delegate, but there was only my husband, at the time, to delegate to.  Hence, some things got accomplished; others did not. 


            Attending college when you have a family, sometimes things need to change.  They did for me; however, I made these transitions slowly, both for the children and for me.  Understanding which tasks truly need to be accomplished now and which can wait, prioritizing your work load.  These are some mindsets to help a parent get through college.  How have you mastered the times in your life when you wished you were more than one person? 

12 comments:

  1. You are the best, Marie. Thanks so much for stopping by my Adventures in Writing blog. Enjoy this beautiful weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it wasn't easy. Do many days I wish I didn't have to work full time. I want to devote my time to cooking, writing, spending time with my kids, and studying for my night class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I've said this before, Theresa. I don't know how you accomplish everything. You are a remarkable woman. What is your night class this time? Good luck with everything. Thanks for stopping by my Adventures in Writing blog.

      Delete
  3. Hi Victoria,

    I love visiting here and reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Nas, for visiting my Adventures in Writing blog. It is appreciated more than you know. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't mastered time management yet, but prioritizing is definitely the trick. I'm impressed by what you achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Lynda, for visiting my Adventures in Writing blog. Yes, time management is the key, although it is very difficult to maintain from day to day. Thanks again for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to keep things written down with the most important things either starred or highlighted. Checklists work for me because I love checking off what is already completed. It makes me feel accomplished! I agree with Lynda. You have achieved a lot. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, Michelle, for visiting my Adventures in Writing blog. Check lists are a great idea to keep track of obligations and tasks and definitely can make you feel as though you are moving forward in life. I kept a list of courses to be able to show myself how I was in fact moving through my college education.

    Thanks again for reading Adventures in Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just dropping by to say 'Hi!'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Nas, for dropping by. It is truly appreciated. I hope all is well. I have an interview coming this month of a small press author and her new book that I hope everyone will enjoy. See you then!

    ReplyDelete