Stepping into the forest of my mind

Stepping into the forest of my mind
Just as every journey begins with a first step, every story begins with the first word.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Gift of Thanks


The joy of substituting, every once in a while, you reach someone and help them to understand concepts in review when the teacher leaves work. 

High school geometry.  Multi-step word problems.  My two nemeses.  However, once I stopped pacing the teachers’ lounge grumbling about word problems and no answer key I looked at the pile of worksheets.  Remodeling a home.  Hm, my husband and I have done this several times.  First problem, a fence around the home.  Perimeter.  I can visualize this.  A floor plan of the home with the dimensions.  A need for new floor tile.  Area.  I can do this. 

Once I figure it out, I can help others.  Diagrams.  Figures.  I didn’t want to just give the students the answers.  I wanted to help them see how we get each answer and why we do the steps we do.  Visuals.  Understanding that the fence is not right up against the home but so many feet away from the home, either side, front and back.  And, of course, the floor space in particular rooms, hallways, or entranceways was not rectangular or square.  It had narrow spots, fireplaces, appliances. 
I wanted the students to show all the work so that the teacher could see how we got our answers and thereby the students could see the thinking that goes behind the answers.   

After class, while I was still knee deep in organizing and labeling worksheets, the lovely Bangladesh girl from class came up to my desk. 

“Um,” she said softly, “I want to…thank you…for helping me in geometry class.”  A smile of understanding lit her face.  It glowed. 

I smiled back.  “You’re welcome.”  Helping others understand.  Isn’t that what teaching is all about?    

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful your hard work helped about student make a breakthrough.
    I wasn't a big fan of subbing math because it wasn't my strongest subject in school and it didn't stick with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is exciting when a substitute learns that she is, in fact, helping the students understand.

    I always think of the upper math and science courses at the high school as a learning opportunity.

    Thanks so much, Theresa, for reading my post. Please stop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's definitely what teaching is about. It's nice that you got that response. I imagine young students don't often show appreciation toward their teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get this response much, but it's wonderful when it does happen. When a teacher really moves a student, students will show appreciation. But oftentimes, the two simply tolerate each other.

    Thank you so much, Lynda, for reading my blog post. Please stop by again. ~Victoria Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is nice that you got that response from a high school student. It's nice to know that the work that you did was appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone needs to be appreciated, Michelle Kathryn. It's a real treat when it finally happens. I know I try to show everyone I come into contact with that I appreciate them and what they do--especially my blog visitors!

    Thank you so much, Michelle Kathryn, for stopping by and reading my blog. Please stop by again.

    ReplyDelete